Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Reality, who needs it?. . .we do.

Hi all,
It's been a couple weeks since I posted. Sorry 'bout that, I've been busy, super busy. This got me thinking about being" busy." It's amazing what we spend our time on and what we avoid spending our time on. I mean we will say that we are too busy to do this or that (usually a mundane task or chore), yet we can spend hours watching something on TV or surfing the net, or playing video games. This got me thinking about reality. Kind of weird, I know. . .but stick with me.

Before texting, facebook, e-mail and reality T.V.  I would spend hours chatting on the phone with my friends. Did I really have hours worth of stuff to talk about? No, not really.  What I DID have was hours worth of house work (dishes, dusting, mopping, laundry, etc.) to avoid. And my friend on the other end of the phone line was usually avoiding the same  household tasks. And yet at the end of the day I would firmly declare that there just isn't enough hours in a day to get everything done. Quite honestly with homemaking you are never done anyway. That is probably why we tend to put things off. I mean we know that we can clean every last speck of dust in the house and low and behold if that stuff don't make it's way back onto that same resting place again the next day. UGH!!

I don't spend much time on the phone chatting nowadays. I would like to say it is because I am too busy running a spotless and well organized home. No, that sadly isn't the case. Actually, I have found "reality". . .reality T.V. that is. Oh my how easy it is to get caught up in other peoples happenings. From your living room  or computer chair you can make cakes with Buddy, keep up with the Kardashians, help a bride pick her wedding dress, follow little people around, help the Duggars keep count of their ever growing family, bid on storage units, and on and on. NO, I don't watch all of  the shows mentioned. I don't have THAT much time. I like Storage Wars, Say Yes to the Dress, Bridezilla, American Pickers and Hoarders (mostly cause it makes my house look super clean hee, hee). But I have realized that we probably like watching these type of shows because once in a while it is just more fun to hang out in someone else's reality than in our own. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I guess that would depend on the show, right.

I don't always follow all the seasons or episodes of a show. Some times I get just pain bored with it. I love the Duggers, but I have moved on. I think they keep having kids because they home school and don't want to purchase math manipulatives. They can just say count your siblings, or if Joseph, Jason, Jill and Jana are in a room and Jason and Jill leave, how many siblings are still in the room? now that is natural math at it's finest. I guess that's why my kids struggled in math. ..there were only four of them. . .I made it too easy.

So, while I absolutely love my own life, but every now and then I kinda enjoy other peoples lives too. I am not really avoiding reality. . .only trading my own reality for someone else's for an hour or so.  I promise I do eventually get my chores accomplished. After all. . .

Philip K. Dick once said;

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” 

. . . those are My Thoughts Exactly!

Until next time keep it REAL. 


1 comment: